07 September, 2007

Should Auckland Airport be well trained?

This may come as a surprise to many Wellingtonians but Auckland Airport is not in Auckland. It is not even close. It is in the Auckland region around 12km from Auckland City's southern boundary, 27.6km from the southern end of North Shore and 37 km from Bombay.

Getting there from my neck of the woods is not cheap or easy. The parking is pricey I hear. I have not been there myself you understand, but one of my rabbit friends spent several weeks close by at the SPCA and didn't like the 1 hour drive on a Sunday afternoon. The main route and the rat route suffer from gridlock even at that time of the week.

An old disused rail line runs as far as Onehunga Wharf, just 7km from the airport and a rail link to Manukau is already planned to go as far as Wiri, just 9km away.

Wouldn't it make sense to connect the two branches at the airport?

No comments: