05 February, 2008

Wind farming

The family recently got up close to one of the wind farms. That little dot in the middle at the base of that turbine is one of the kids. The blob to one side is a fully mature cabbage tree in the next paddock.
I would have personally checked this out but only I was spotted hiding in the suitcase (I am not talking to the person who tried to pack a pair of shoes on top of me).
The following conclusions have been reported to me.
  1. They are quite handsome, restful to watch and look stunning when the evening light catches them on the hill above Ashurst. A point local real estate agents are using in their patter.
  2. The noise - if you call a quiet whoosh once a second noise- is easily drowned out by a car driving past over 50m away. Similar to waves breaking on a beach.
  3. Only the dumbest of livestock would be scared by these. Sheep aren't.

Of course they only work when the wind blows.

No comments: