06 November, 2009

The death of Guy Fawkes night


Gunpowder, treason and plot;
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.
A stick and a stake for King James’ sake!
Holla, boys, Holla, make the town ring;
Holla, boys, Holla, boys, God save the King.
Is it the recession?

Is it the PC banning of rockets, double happies and the like?

Is it the injuries and out of control fires of Guy Fawkes past?

Is it the PC restrictions on the sale of fireworks and the idiots they are aimed at?


Is it all of the above or something else that is seeing the slow demise of the celebration of a failed 17th Century treason attempt?


Down here at the bottom of the world you could be forgiven for blaming the weather. Late spring, dry bush and fire are not a good mix after all. However this isn't just happening here but in the UK as well. Home of the very Parliament that Guy Fawkes tried to blow up.


I only know what stopped Guy Fawkes in my back yard.


The noise.


It is easy to put my rabbit friends in a room with the curtains drawn the and light on to cover up the flashes. Not so easy to muffle the screams and bangs. The screams and bangs get louder every year. They even bother me. Given that we hear mortar and gunfire from the range across the harbour about 1km away that is saying something.
If modern fireworks were quieter no doubt we would still buy a few to let off . They are rather pretty.


Last night I retired to the lounge with Cinnamon Bun, Mystery and Mr Biscuit confined to carriers and Inky hopping around trying to chase me, just as I have done in Guy Fawkes past.


Just as I will no doubt for the next couple of nights - until the neighbours run out of fire power.


If last night was anything to go by they will run out sooner than usual.



No comments: