05 November, 2007

Fireworks - my big bang theory

Are modern fireworks a whole lot noisier than they used to be or are we just getting old?

A lot just seem to be too big for back yards.
What is the point of buying them and letting them off if your neighbours and those 2 streets away get a better view?

Or is just my neighbours taking things to an extreme?

On Saturday night he with the really old bull dog put a match too what seemed to be several hundred dollars worth in his back yard, mostly simultaneously. We were close to 100 metres away and got a really good view - and earful.

Now I am no scaredy cat. I normally sit out with the family and watch a $20 bag being let off. I am a big fan of those pretty quieter ones. Low flying Hercules and Orions? not a problem! Artillery and mortar fire from the range directly across the harbour don't even make me blink.

This neighbour's efforts had even me inside and under the table while yellow bellied Min hid under an armchair. Half deaf old Smudge decided retreat was in order with plenty of hissing and she is no scaredy cat either.
The family brought my rabbit friends inside and they all cowered under hay in their open carriers instead of following me around like they normally do when inside.

After that the kids here haven't even asked if we will be letting some off, they have lost all interest.

Now for my big bang theory.

The bigger the bangs the bigger the bans.

First it was tomthumbs, and doublehappys then sky rockets that were banned.
After last year it was individual packets of seemingly innocent sparklers and the sale time was shortened from the usual 10 days down to just 3 and the age restriction raised to 18 with a warning that bad behavior would lead to a total ban on private sales.


It looks like the PM is serious about that.

Enjoy your Guy Fawkes night tonight. It may be the last with crackers.

No comments: